We have warmed our cup this month with our December Pick of the Month “On the Grind” but now it’s time to go behind the counter and have a little one on one with our server of this fine dish, Mr. Geo Gant. So sit down and top off that cup of joe and let’s get to know George a little more as he takes on our “10 Questions for the Pick of the Month”.
1. First comic you read as a child?
Peanuts. No matter where I was, there were ALWAYS Peanuts books around. I read a lot of Calvin and Hobbes and Bloom County as well.
2. Who is your greatest influence(s) as an artist/creator?
Charles Shulz, Bill Watterson, Jim Davis, Mike Krahulik, Ray Billingsley, Robb Armstrong, Osamu Tezuka, as well as a few others. I’m also heavily influenced by video game art from the 80s/90s.
3. Required drawing equipment or writing necessities?
My Intuos 4, Photoshop, and Autodesk Skecthbook Pro 6. Oh, and a cup of coffee. I never draw/write without having coffee first.
4. Where did you go to school and what was your major?
I went to the International Academy of Design and Technology, where I orginally majored in graphic design, but switched over to IT.
5. Three Adjectives to describe yourself that has NOTHING to do with comics?
6. What is your favorite environment in which to create in? (Quiet, Music/movie in the background, etc.)
I usually listen to stand up comedy or music through my headphones.
7. Embarrassing childhood memory you wish to reveal? (or Most exciting if you don’t want to reveal embarrassing)
I almost fell into a sewer once. I was running outside, and I slipped and slid, kicking a manhole cover open. My leg fell in the hole, but luckily I was able to pull myself up.
8. Who would you pick to play you in a movie about your life?
9. What other information would you like share about your comic? Books? Kickstarter?
I released a book earlier this year through Hound Comics based on the On the Grind, titled The Worst Day Ever: The First On the Grind Treasury. I’m in the planning stages of the follow up book as well. This one will be titled, On the Grind Vol 2: Electric Brewgaloo. Vol 1 is available now at houndcomics.com and amazon.com, and I am currently selling signed copies from onthegrindcomic.com as well. Vol 2 will, hopefully, be available early next year.
10. What is the meaning of life?
Doing what makes you happy without sacrificing the happiness of others.
There you have it folks, another great sit down with a super talented creator. We hope through this you get a closer kinship with George. Don’t forget to check out his comic “On the Grind” and share it with others. If you haven’t had a chance to check out the Pick of the Month write up about “On the Grind” definitely go back and check it out as well. To find out a little more about George and to check out his work check out the links below.
Comic – www.onthegrindcomic.com
Follow On the Grind on Twitter @onthegrindcomic
Follow George Gant on Twitter @geogant