The Alliance Chat: where no topic has gone before!
Welcome to the Alliance Chat! This podcast will be about various topics in not only the comic industry, but nearly anything that effects creators of all types. And sometimes just plain old life issues.
In this podcast, we chat about: Robin brings up the aesthetics of play and applies them to webcomics vs. video games. Here is the list she mentions in the podcast:
- Sensation: Sight, sound, touch, taste, sound. Sense pleasure.
- Fantasy: Ability to step into a role that you would be unable to occupy otherwise.
- Narrative: Media as drama. The twists and turns of a story.
- Challenge: Engagement in overcoming obstacles.
- Fellowship: Any activity where a group works together to accomplish a goal.
- Competition: Expressing dominance over others, to demonstrate superiority over others.
- Discovery: Uncovering the new.
- Expression: A platform for expressing an aspect of ourselves.
- Abnegation: Past-time. Something that allows the user to dis-engage, zone-out, or otherwise leave behind the real-world that does not require work.
These were introduced to her in the online show Extra Credits in the episode “Aesthetics of Play” which you can watch here: